Sexual harassment is a serious offense, especially in the workplace. Though many believe that telling offensive jokes may be alright, there are times when it could really hurt someone’s feelings.
However, sexual harassment doesn’t usually stop there. Many people continue to ask someone that they work without on a date or for sexual favors. If they get turned down, they may threaten their job. These people may not get the raise or job promotion that they were counting on, simply because they were not interested.
Other times harassment looks like unwanted advances. Male co-workers may slap a woman’s rear end or push themselves close to them just to see their reaction.
All of these are considered sexual harassment and you don’t have to take it. Though it is scary, it might be worth seeking the advice of a lawyer. You could be entitled to some compensation for your troubles.
Here are some ways that you could be compensated if you were sexually harassed.
- If you are emotionally bothered, you could get compensation for your troubles. Emotional distress will get you some financial compensation if you end up seeking the advice of a lawyer.
- If you didn’t get a raise or a job promotion, you could ask for back pay. A good lawyer could get you up to three times the amount of money that you lost out on.
- If you lost your job, you may be able to get it back. If you left your job because you were uncomfortable there, you might be able to go back to The same goes if you were fired because you wouldn’t do whatever your boss expected.
- You should also be able to get back any money that you had to pay out of pocket to hire your lawyer and go to trial. This can be quite expensive, so you should be able to get that money back.
Many people don’t believe that they deserve compensation for this. In fact, they may feel dirty and used, so they don’t want to deal with it. However, you should always consult with a lawyer if you feel like you are being harassed sexually.
Here are some reasons you need to talk to a lawyer about your potential case.
- Your lawyer will be able to help you decide if you were, in fact, sexually harassed. The law defines sexual harassment a certain way and your lawyer will be able to help you decide whether or not you have a case.
- He or she will help you through the process. Often, you can’t simply start legal proceedings. Instead, you have to talk to your harasser and then the company that you work with before you can go even farther. You will also have to go through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) before any legal action can be taken. This company (or another similar one) will do their own investigation to come up with a settlement.
- If you are struggling to talk about this, your lawyer will help you. He or she will go through everything that you told him or her and help you come up with a speech and make sure that everything goes as it should. It can help to know that you have someone in your corner.
- If it ends up going to trial, you are going to need an experienced lawyer fighting for you. He or she will be with you every step of the way as you fight to get the compensation that you deserve.
- Lastly, your lawyer will make sure that the company that you work for will start a policy against sexual harassment if they don’t have one already. If they do (and it is not effective), they will have to make the necessary changes.
Though you may not want to fight against harassment because you are afraid that you are going to make it worse, you really should. You deserve some compensation, especially if you are missing out on a raise or a job promotion!
If you are scared, talk to an experienced lawyer. He or she will fight for you every step of the way.
If you need a lawyer because of how you are being treated at your place of employment, don’t hesitate to contact us. We would be glad to discuss your case with you and figure out how you want to move forward. Please watch this short video for more information.